Is your Furnace Working Properly?
All to often citizens of Calgary over look their furnace maintenance until its cold, or even worst, gone out.
Scrambling to find a service company in Calgary when the weather outside is "frightful" can be a frustrating task. Try these simple furnace servicing tips first, or just give Mr Tap a call for instant services. Phone 403 286 0711
Be sure to have your furnace cleaned by a qualified Calgary Furnace Cleaning company. Remember, a clean heating system is an energy efficient heating system.
Having no heat can be a major repair, or a minor repair. If your furnace in Calgary is under 15 years old, try these simple steps to see if you can get the furnace running quickly.
- 1) Check the batteries in the thermostat, replace if they are over a year old.
- 2) Check the air filter located right next to the blower or fan wheel of the furnace. Most of you will have a slide in furnace filter or an electronic air cleaner. Make sure the filter is clean. Replace once every 30 to 60 days.
- 3) Power down the furnace at the breaker panel or main power switch located near the furnace. Then after a few minutes, turn the power on again, let the unit reboot. Like other electronics, glitches can happen and cause the main control board to lock out.
If these simple but common tricks fail to start your furnace, it is strongly recommended the you call a repairman. Call Mr Tap the furnace repair professionals at;
403 286 0711 24/7 for instant help
Early in the fall when your furnace begins to actively heat the building, you will notice a burnt dirt smell. Check these easy to do task to help eliminate the odours.
- 1) Replace or thoroughly clean your furnace filters. In Calgary, your furnace filter should be replaced or cleaned once every couple of months.
- 2) Clean the hot air and cold air vents. During the summer months, lint and debris can accumulate in the vents and be drawn into the furnace. Use your vacuum cleaner to clean the grates and hot air registers.
- 3) Arrange to have a professional duct and furnace cleaning company to come in and clean your ducting and piping system.
If these simple but common tricks fail to start your furnace, it is strongly recommended the you call a repairman. Call Mr Tap the furnace repair professionals at 403 286 0711 24/7 for instant help
Ginding and other furnace noise.
If your hearing unusual noises coming from the furnace, it maybe a call for some TLC. Check the following common problems associated with grinding furnaces.
- 1) A whipping sound or clicking sound can mean a worn furnace blower wheel belt. The belt is located right at the furnace motor areas. You may be able to just replace the belt and you’re good to go.
- 2) A rumbling or very loud grinding sound can mean worn out blower wheel bearings. The bearings need small amounts of oil yearly to keep things running smoothly. If the sound is overly loud, new bearings are likely required.
- 3) A high pitch squeal can mean the exhaust inducer fan is defective. Oiling the exhaust fan may quiet down the noise.
It is important to remind you that qualified furnace repair people should be the only people to repair your furnace. The furnace is a great appliance when it is operating in a safe and efficient manner. However, injury and death are real concerns with any gas appliance. BE CAREFUL!.If these simple but common tricks fail to start your furnace, it is strongly recommended you call a qualified repairman.
Call Mr Tap the furnace repair professionals at
403 286 0711
24/7 for instant help
During the coldest months of the year, Calgary heating systems will be working hard to keep the building warm. Often, there will be rooms that never seem to heat up. See the tips below for a few things you can check before calling in the pros.
- Upper level rooms will be the most common areas of the building experiencing cooler temperatures’ than the main areas of the home. Look for leaking windows, poorly insulated walls, vents on the wall and floor that are blocked or covered by furniture. All to often, a dresser of couch will be blocking the air flow of the return air and hot air vents. You should have at least 6 inches between any cold air vent and furniture. Hot air vents should be open and have nothing on top of them blocking the flow of hot air.
- If you have recently added rooms to your building, the heating and duct system may have been over looked. More BTUs are needed to heat your building if you have added more space. Further-more, the heating ducts, and pipes may not be in the proper locations to move the air through-out the building. Always call a professional when renovating your home to make sure you have the proper heating system for the finished project..
- There are dampers installed in heating systems that will help you balance the flow of hot/cold air through-out your building. These dampers are normally found at the beginning of the pipe or duct system. Simply find the dampers and adjust them to move more hot air into the cold rooms.
The tips on this web-site are for forced air heating systems. Call the pros if you require help with your furnaces, or boilers any time 24/7 at 403.286.0711
New Furnaces In Calgary and Surrounding Areas
When should you replace your furnace?
This question comes up allot, ask yourself if you have been frequently spending money on repairs. In some cases if your furnace has been poorly maintained, or is over 15 years of age, or is a lemon its best to replace rather than repair.
Below is a list of typical repairs and the cost associated.
- Replace a defective motor for a belt driven furnace ¼ to ½ hp would run about 350.00 to 700.00 parts and labour.
- Replace a motor on a direct drive furnace with capacitor hp would vary, the blower wheel must be reusable. Cost would be about 500.00 to 800.00 parts and labour.
- Gas valve replacement on a regular household furnace - old style about 500.00 to 800.00 - new style gas valves are about 700.00 to 900.00 installed
A new furnace typically cost 3500.00 to 7500.00 installed depending on the size and age of your home. Factoring in the fact that new furnaces are 98% efficient, the pay back is worth the cost of replacing in energy savings alone.
Give Mr Tap Plumbing and Heating Sales and Service a call right now at 403 286 0711 and have your furnace replacement taken care of by the pros!
Contact Us Your Calgary Plumbing Company
North - 403 286 0711 or 403 247 1111
South - 403 253 1110
2435-81st Street, S.W. CALGARY, Alberta T3H 3V8